måndag 3 juni 2013

CONTEMPLATING FURIOUS 6






I was just recently converted to the juggernaut franchise that is The Fast and The Furious  and going into the theatre on a high after witnessing Fast5 for the first time ever on bluray.
Previously I dismissed the franchise as an empty excuse to showing cars and female bootys with sweat running down their legs (and possibly James Spaders cum).

Now I am convinced that the 1970´s carmovie action craze is back in style for real. I just did not get it until now. I am a slow learner. I never noticed the the stoic motifs in the previous ones until it was shouted at me with a blowhorn in the fifth installment. I feel so stupid. But there might be more than that behind this blockbuster.

The motifs of honor,brotherhood,friendship and family. A set of traditional principles and values lacking in cinema today and apparently in society as well. Call me oldfashioned, but shit like that is important. Not the paygrade you get after sucking someones dick in a closet, but the respect of friends,family and the responsibliity by owing up to whatever debt you have.  I am regrettably aware of  myself  being guilty to some of these sins, it is painfully clear to me. So it is kind of nice (and scary) to see people bringing in some of the traditional values into the douchebagcentury of alltime to enlighten us about the importance of having a set of morals.

The plot is spectacularly dumb and retarded, which may come across as a contradiction to what I said previously. And it is. And that is what makes it great. The juxtaposition of stupidity and sincerity. The ambivalence behind it  might actually work to make people to start thinking about what makes these movies so phenomanally successfull. The last two installments has been HUGE hits and instead of being a douchenozzle about it being unrealistic, you might wanna start thinking about what makes them tick amongst audiences. because if you think it is all about blowing shit up ( which is great! Contradiction alert!) you might start thinking about your own set of morals. I know I have.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar